Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Feast of Saint Luke, evangelist

St. Luke painting the portrait of
the Virgin and her Son

Lectionary: 661

The Lord Jesus appointed seventy-two disciples whom he sent ahead of him in pairs to every town and place he intended to visit.....

"Whatever town you enter and they welcome you, eat what is set before you, cure the sick in it and say to them, ‘The Kingdom of God is at hand for you.’”


As believers in God and disciples of Jesus, we wonder what we should do. Belief cannot be simply an opinion that makes no difference in how I think, feel, act, or live. It's more than taking someone's word for it and going on about one's life unchanged. (I used to know how far the Earth is from the sun, but since it makes no difference to me, I've forgotten.)

Today's gospel gives us basic direction. First, we live where the Lord intends to visit. Our neighbors will recognize him because they're acquainted with us. He will be better, and far more wonderful, enchanting, and desirable than they expected.  

They might recognize our joy in the Lord; they might appreciate the pleasure of our company. We can care for them and their sick as the Lord directs, and say, "The Kingdom of God is at hand for you!" But we're not obliged to inject or insert him into their lives. He and the Holy Spirit will arrive in good time, and in an hour we might not know

That's where our faith checks in; it is a willingness that sometimes works in ignorance, but not ignorantly. We do as our parents did for us, "the best we can." And leave the rest to God. 

Should we find that neither our faith nor our presence is welcome, we may move on. Or we might, as the history of Catholicism shows, go underground. I've heard stories about English and Japanese Catholics who worshiped silently in their homes. The latter group retained the sacraments of Baptism and Marriage for centuries when there were no priests. They emerged cautiously after 1865when western Catholic missionaries finally returned. 

The Gospel endures despite the most savage persecutions of the enemy because we humans need salvation and we know it; and because the Holy Spirit never gives up on us. Praise God for that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.