Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Memorial of Saints John de Brébeuf and Isaac Jogues, Priests, and Companions, Martyrs

 Lectionary: 475

Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.”


How do we reconcile the innumerable threats and warnings in the Old and New Testaments with the freedom of the children of God? Are even the many promised "carrots" which encourage right behavior demeaning? 

I am struck by these paradoxes. I was reminded recently of a medieval argument among the greatest philosopher/theologians concerning God's will and morality. Is a good action right because it is innately good, or because God prefers it? Is morality subject to God's caprice? Or, are evil actions invariably evil?

If God's will is capricious, then the adult Christian must be continually watching to see which way God's will is turning. But if the principles of good and evil are stable, we can study them apart from our concerns about God. Even reasonable atheists can agree that certain actions are good while others are wicked. The great theologian Thomas of Aquinas insisted upon this latter opinion, and taught that God built stable, discernible principles into creation. 

Today's gospel concludes with an inviting warning, "Much will be required of those entrusted with much." With grateful hearts the wise consider how blessed they are; while fools dwell upon what they want and don't have. They suppose they're exempt from the obligation of gratitude since they seem to have so little. 

Again, even the atheist must be moved by the awareness of privilege rather than the temptation to resentment. For when I realize there is no particular reason I should exist in the first place, that my being is contingent and not necessary, then I must respond in gratitude for every moment of human life and every breath of the human body. 

However, the difference between believers and atheists is sharp: believers have the lovely privilege of knowing to Whom they're grateful, while unbelievers struggle with that conundrum.

With many severe warnings, the Lord reminds us of the choice between gratitude and resentment not because the Lord enjoys punishing evil persons but because the consequences of good and evil are built into God's creation. If I set a mousetrap and you intentionally put your finger in it, you can hardly blame me for creating something as useful as a mousetrap! Should you decide to blame me anyway, that won't change the fact of your foolishness, nor the pain in your finger.  

The warnings also remind us that life is full of challenges and was never meant to be easy. In fact those who enjoy life with little struggle may be the more unfortunate for they are unprepared for the inevitable temptations referenced in the Lord's Prayer. 

Aware of God's promises and threats. our life begins with gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.