Sunday, October 16, 2022

Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 147

Jesus told his disciples a parable about the necessity for them to pray always without becoming weary. He said, "There was a judge in a certain town who neither feared God nor respected any human being....


I love this parable about the wicked judge and the importunate widow. Not only is the point well made, but the story is unforgettable; though we might be distracted by its humor. 

The moral of the story is sharpened by the possibility that the widow might not have a legitimate claim. The Parablist doesn't say she does. If neither the judge nor the widow is just, then we're reminded that persistence pays. Now go and do likewise.

Today's story of Israel's defeat of Amalek also speaks of persistence as we see the ancient Moses, too weak to hold his arms aloft all day, accepts the help of two fierce warriors. Though we might suppose Aaron and Hur should be down in the fray, duking it out with the enemy, they do better to support Moses in his prayer. 

All too often we neglect our prayer in favor of our work, only to discover the futility of time, effort, and energy wasted. Workaholics are often the least effective workers. And Americans, who take less than ten vacation days a year, are less productive than German workers who take thirty! What's wrong with this picture?

German Catholic philosopher Josef Pieper, in his book Leisure, the Basis of Culture has argued that without leisure activities like conversation, the arts, play, dining, prayer (both communal and personal), and so forth, industrious lives become meaningless. Entertainment might be added to the list as life-enhancing, provided it's not neutralized by commercial breaks or compromised by politics. Watching newsreels about emotional meltdowns, natural catastrophes, and murder is voyeurism, not leisure. It ranks with lust and gossip. 

On this 29th Sunday of Ordinary time, as winter approaches, the Church urges us to pray persistently; for the Christian, an activity as natural as breathing. The Holy Spirit calls us to worship together and invites us to pray in solitude. Our prayer begins with our presence before the majesty of God and our bold declaration, "Here I am, Lord. I come to do your will.

Just as the Lord will not leave us, neither will we leave the Lord. We can make like the obnoxious widow greeting the wicked judge each morning with, "I'm still here!" 

Or as Ruth said to her mother-in-law Naomi, 

Wherever you go I will go,
wherever you lodge I will lodge.
Your people shall be my people
and your God, my God.
Where you die I will die
and there be buried.
May the LORD do thus to me, and more,
if even death separates me from you!”


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.