Monday, October 17, 2022

Memorial of Saint Ignatius of Antioch, Bishop and Martyr

 Lectionary: 473

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from you; it is the gift of God; it is not from works, so no one may boast.
For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for good works that God has prepared in advance, that we should live in them.


"You didn't build that!" Barak Obama reminded the nation as he spoke of the world we inherited with its highways, bridges, and buildings. If we have accomplished anything, or see beyond the horizons that contained our ancestors, it's because "We are standing on the shoulders of giants." 

As I age I appreciate more and more how much I have received and how little I have given. And the scriptures remind me often, "...this is not from you; it is the gift of God." 

Today we celebrate the memorial of Saint Ignatius of Antioch. Jesus had created the archetype of martyrdom, showing how we are saved by self-sacrifice. The proto-martyr Stephen readily imitated his example as he faced an angry mob. 

On his feast day, we admire the martyr Saint Ignatius of Antioch for his epistles. The great writer and patriarch accepted the Roman judge's death sentence and insisted that no one -- neither friend, admirer, acquaintance nor enemy -- should interfere in its execution. He compared himself to a loaf of bread which is ground by teeth, and the teeth which ground him should be in the mouths of the Roman Colosseum's lions. He would be bread like the Eucharist.

One of the early giants of our faith, Saint Ignatius received what he handed on to us, that willingness to make sacrifice, even of his own life. If you or I are not called to the ultimate sacrifice today, we nonetheless accept the tradition of making our lives holy (i.e sacrificial) as a gift to be cherished and passed along. Deuteronomy especially, makes it clear that, if the next generation does not accept the gift of our ancestors, then our deliverance will have been in vain. 

However, be on your guard and be very careful not to forget the things your own eyes have seen, nor let them slip from your heart as long as you live, but make them known to your children and to your children’s children, that day you stood before the LORD, your God, at Horeb, when the LORD said to me: Assemble the people for me, that I may let them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me as long as they live in the land and may so teach their children. (Deuteronomy 4:9-10)

We show that we have received of salvation, and are worthy of it, as we keep the faith and invest another generation in the vestments of holiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.