Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Wednesday of the Twenty-seventh Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 463

But when I saw that they were not on the right road, in line with the truth of the Gospel,
I said to Cephas in front of all, 
"If you, though a Jew, are living like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?"


As I understand, ancient Greek culture did not regard boasting with the same contempt as we do today. Warriors crowed about their exploits before and after the battle, about what they would do and what they had done. It was accepted as entertaining conversation. 

Greek was the language of educated Roman citizens, and of the New Testament, so we should not be surprised to hear Saint Paul boasting of his quarrel with Saint Peter, and of his eventual triumph in that discussion. 

Today's gospel, with Saint Luke's less familiar version of the Lord's Prayer, might refer to quarrels among Christians: "forgive us our sins for we ourselves forgive everyone in debt to us," 

It is very easy for opinionated persons to suppose that an opponent is an enemy; an enemy is wicked; and the wicked will perish on the Judgement Day! All because I said it was forty miles to Timbuktu and you said it was forty-five. Some Christian sects are so divisive they count it a virtue as their form of quarrelsome Christianity dots the land with mini-churches. 

Jesus reminds us that the more virtuous work out their differences and forgive one another both quickly and persistently. The more stuck I am on myself the more difficult it is to forgive my opponent; and likewise, the more open my heart, the more readily I recognize our differences as less important than our communion. I think of the senators Biden and McCain and their quarrels, which the Senator described at McCain's funeral. They disagreed on much but remained fast friends, even as partisan senators warned them not to associate with each other. 

Most important controversies will not soon be resolved. Their solutions -- if there are any -- are far beyond the horizon, and might sound like utter nonsense to our present ways of thinking. But we can be sure they'll be discovered in a communion of minds and hearts, a communion like that of Saints Peter and Paul. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.