Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Memorial of Saint John Bosco, Priest

 Lectionary: 324

Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith.


Anyone outside, glancing up, will notice the sky and its clouds. We often look upwards to make a quick forecast of what might be coming. We notice the density of the clouds. Are they thin and wispy? Are they dense and heavy? Will there be sunshine today, or rain? 

The Letter to the Hebrews reminds us that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses. During the worst days of the pandemic when I celebrated Mass alone in the VA hospital chapel, I could only hope that some patients might have their TVs set to our chapel channel. And I engaged my imagination and relied on that heavenly cloud of the saints and martyrs, the quick and the dead, with Mary and all the angels to be there for me.  

Hebrews' allusion sends us back to Mount Sinai where Moses encountered the LORD in a dense cloud. It recalls Solomon's priests who carried their smoking thuribles into the temple's Holy of Holies but were soon driven out when the Cloud of God's Glory -- the Shekhinah -- filled the sanctuary. As we enter that cloud we "rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus..."



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.