Friday, January 20, 2023

Optional Memorial of Saint Fabian, pope and martyr

Lectionary: 514 

Jesus went up the mountain and summoned those whom he wanted and they came to him. He appointed Twelve, whom he also named Apostles, that they might be with him and he might send them forth to preach and to have authority to drive out demons.


The Lord Jesus went up a mountain as Moses had ascended Mount Sinai to receive the covenant written on tablets of stone. Jesus summoned twelve of his disciples to be with him on the height where he put the laws in their minds and wrote them upon their hearts.

The twelve were "those whom he wanted." They were not self-appointed apostles; no one should dare to take that authority upon themself. 

Their first responsibility was to "be with the Lord." Saint John Henry Newman describes that sense of presence to the Lord with a wonderful simile. When I speak to a friend about someone else, perhaps rephrasing what they said, I will choose my own words and use my own expressions. However, should that third party be with us, I will try to recall their precise words; or, better yet, ask them to repeat what they said. 

And even if I am only recounting what this person did, I will speak more carefully knowing they're right there to hear what I say. 

If we are continually with the Lord as his chosen and beloved, our manner must reflect the presence of the Lord. Those who are with us -- be they friend, acquaintance, or enemy -- will detect through our manner the divine presence of God. 

Another simile might be useful, in a negative sort of way. Perhaps you've met some unfortunate persons who suffered severe abuse at the hands of a parent. No matter where they go they carry the trauma with them; they are anxious and fearful, terrified of speaking carelessly as if they might betray a dreadful secret. Even if the cruel parent is long dead their presence remains to frighten and control. The victim cannot speak of that parent without measuring their words carefully. When they finally, courageously share their stories they might suffer flashbacks of anguish afterwards. And as you listen to that person and watch their manner you sense the diabolical presence of another.  

Those who know the healing Spirit of Jesus enjoy his reassurance and encouragement. If he is standing over their shoulder all the time, he is saying, "You go, Girl!" "You go, Dude!" and, "You are my beloved." 

From the mountain Jesus sent his twelve apostles to "drive out demons." We do that with our presence. They don't want to be anywhere near the Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.