Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Wednesday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 313

Then he said to the Pharisees,
"Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil,
to save life rather than to destroy it?"

As Tobit's son Tobiah set out for Media to recover a loan from a kinsman, the blind man instructed his son, "At all times bless the Lord, your God, and ask him that all your paths may be straight and all your endeavors and plans may prosper."

Tobit, despite his irritability, is a devout man who walks in the Lord. His obedient and devout son does the same and their endeavors and plans are very prosperous. Not only do they recover the money, but the old man's sight is restored, Tobiah meets his wife Sarah (whose prayers are answered), and their dog comes back with them. 

I noticed Tobit's advice in our Wednesday morning prayer last week because it contradicts some of my recent (infallible) preaching. (The scriptures are good for that.) I've been saying, "God doesn't help anyone. We should hope and pray that we're helping God! We should ask God what shall I do?" 

Very often we tell God the way things should be and expect him to fix it up for us. And I won't say that's wrong. Doesn't Jesus ask Bartimaeus, "What do you want?" and the disciples of the Baptist, "What are you looking for?" At Christmas we sing, "The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight." The Lord is the satisfaction of all our longing. 

But I will also say, having shared our plans and expressed our desires, we should stick around awhile and let the Lord reply. 

The reply might simply be silence and the spontaneous prayers of praise and gratitude which the Holy Spirit inspires in eager hearts. Very often the silence might be filled with our deepest desire, which we share with all the saints, "Thy will be done.'

Only God can see beyond the horizon to what must happen. Only God can see the biggest picture and what is truly best for us. And so we willingly surrender to God's plan of salvation. Can my finding the job, buying the right house or car, or paying off my debts really make a difference in the world? We ask and God decides. 

Our needs bring us into the Lord's presence and that's the blessing of being needy. 

The Pharisees in today's gospel were not evil people. They intended good but they were so sure that they knew what was good that they could not see Goodness when he stood before them. They wanted to do God's will but they didn't ask what God wanted. And so they plotted -- on the Sabbath day! -- to do evil. They intended to destroy life rather than save it. 

"At all times bless the Lord, your God, and ask him that all your paths may be straight and all your endeavors and plans may prosper."

And then rest in silence and let the Lord reply. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.