Monday, January 9, 2023

The Baptism of the Lord

 Lectionary: 21

Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him.
John tried to prevent him, saying,
“I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?”


John preached a "baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins." Jesus saves us through the forgiveness of sins. Although he has other ministries like healing the sick, preaching good news to the poor, and reconciling enemies, they begin with the forgiveness of sins. 

And how should he begin this mighty work? By his own baptism. With this gesture, he stands before the throne of God accused of sin like every mortal human being. In fact, he disdains his equality with God and prefers to gather us to himself, sinners that we are, as his sisters and brothers.  

Opponents of the Gospel like to accuse Christians of hypocrisy. Regardless of its fairness, they distance themselves from Christ since he remains among us. But the accusation is fair when I judge others. I have brought it upon myself. As they say in AA, "Take your own inventory!" 

As we explore the Gospel of Saint Matthew on the Sundays of this new year, we should remember Herod's hypocritical intention to "do him homage." 

But how do we practice penance? As a preacher, I struggle to explain the mystery in words; as one who hears confessions, I try to help my fellow Catholics name their sins, acknowledge their guilt, and know God's mercy in the sacrament.

Clearly, there is something seriously amiss in our world. Sin is everywhere! We see it in the disintegrating ecology. God created the Earth life-friendly and human-friendly but it can no longer support many forms of life, and many have gone extinct. Life and nature will survive but ecological upheaval is already causing mass starvation, displacement, and endless warfare. And if we cannot feed, clothe, and shelter everyone, we can make war. We're good at war. 

The Bible, beginning with the third chapter of Genesis, recognizes sin as the cause of this environmental disruption. Eden was a very friendly place for the couple who husbanded it until it began to bear thorns and thistles. Even human birth became agonizing and painful, and sometimes deadly. The Hebrew prophets saw God's hand in drought, disease, and pestilence, but they promised security, stability, and prosperity to those who do God's will. 

But the ecological crisis is only one of the plagues we face. We're dying of addiction, depression, loneliness, obesity, suicide, and xenophobia -- to name a few alphabetically. 

Jesus came to forgive sins. And will forgive sins when we're willing to admit them. But I have found, when I speak of sin from the pulpit, people complain because they suppose all sin is unforgivable. 

Sin, by its very definition, is forgivable. God reveals our sins to us and our confession of sin is proof of God's mercy. 

John the Baptist was astonished when Jesus appeared in the Jordan River, “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?” 

He baptized the One who is Baptism. He saw the humility of God in Jesus. As Catholics and Christians, our repentance begins with John's obedience.  

As we take responsibility for the devastating plagues that assail us, the Lord will tell us what to do. It might begin with "Go to confession," but it won't stop there. We must practice penance and reparation with the Lord's humility. Because Jesus shares my guilt, I am more prepared to recognize its depth and width and extent, and how deeply rooted in my past. I could not bear that revelation without the assurance of mercy! 

And having done so, we will hear a most solemn affirmation, "You are my beloved with whom I am well pleased.”


1 comment:

  1. I found the phrase, “God reveals our sin to us…” as an invitation for us to let go, admit the wrong and accept forgiveness and become anew. Betty Deerwester

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.