Monday, January 2, 2023

Memorial of Saints Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen, Bishops and Doctors of the Church

 Lectionary: 205

This is the testimony of John. 
When the Jews from Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to him
to ask him, “Who are you?” He admitted and did not deny it, but admitted, “I am not the Christ.” 


In today's gospel, Saint John the Baptist clearly explains the call to repentance with his declaration, "I am not the Christ." 

In the summer of 1973, two years before I was ordained, I took a course in CPE; that is, "Clinical Pastoral Education." The program prepares men and women of any and all religions for religious ministry with study, practical experience, discussion, and intense reflection. Their religious opinions should be more than good ideas and theoretical ideals. 

Knowing how an automobile works is not the same thing as driving a car. One should be trained in its maintenance and use and warned about its misuse. Prospective priests, ministers, rabbis, and imams should also know the limits, dangers, and duties of their prospective careers. CPE aims to prepare for the future. 

The hospital chaplain who conducted my program in 1973 frequently reminded me over the course of ten weeks, "You are not the Christ!" Young, anxious, sensitive, and articulate, I wanted to help people; I wanted to make a difference. I wanted to save lives! I didn't want to hear, "You are not the Christ." I didn't need the distraction. 

Saint John knew that preaching penance begins with penance. I can announce the Word I have received from the Lord, but I cannot force anyone to hear it, welcome it, or change anything about their life. Nor can I judge their spiritual progress. As veterans say, "That's above my pay grade." Doing so is both counterproductive and personally distressing. 

A half-century later, I wish I had learned the lesson sooner. But, of course, it takes innumerable relapses into messianism and more than a half-century to learn it. One learns humility through humiliation and serious reflection upon the experience (which is why some people never get it.) 

As we plunge into another year, into "Another chance to get it right!" we ask God to teach us the way of penance with "Whatever it takes;" and "...as long as it takes!" 


1 comment:

  1. Yep! I'm still working on the idea that I'm not the Savior of the world. That's Jesus Christ 's role. I am just a humble, bumbling teacher in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.