Saturday, September 16, 2023

Memorial of Saints Cornelius, Pope, and Cyprian, Bishop, Martyrs

 Lectionary: 442

This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance:
Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.
Of these I am the foremost.

Penance is not the most popular of the Church's seven sacraments. Many Catholics avoid it altogether; many admit they're uncomfortable as they approach it. Some will complain that it should not be necessary to recall, identify, tabulate, and name their sins to a fellow human being. They ask, "Isn't it enough that I believe God forgives me? Are we not saved by faith alone?"  

It's uncomfortable, there's no doubt about that. 

When Saint Paul wrote to his protege, the Bishop Timothy, he described himself as the foremost of sinners. Perhaps he exaggerated, but it's more likely that he was gazing fully and directly upon the Cross of Christ and realizing the full extent of both his need for mercy and the Lord's superabundant grace. 

It is by our sins we find ourselves standing with Mary and the Lord, on Calvary, where we must be. There is no other approach. We cannot come as tourists or spectators; the very thought is blasphemy. We cannot come simply as sympathizers, saying, "Oh that poor man." That false piety rankles; it is sickening, treacly, like too much sweetness. 

We enter the mystery of our salvation by confession of our sins. We acquire knowledge of salvation, as Zechariah saidthrough the forgiveness of our sins, because of the tender mercy of our God. 

Without Penance, our salvation is nothing more than a glittery patina; it flakes off when it's confronted with the least resistance. 

We find ourselves in the cross, death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus, in the Body of Christ which is his Church, through the confession of our sins. This is where we belong, as saved sinners. It is a place of deep satisfaction and perfect joy. 

"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete."John 15:11

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.