Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Tuesday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 450

He said to them in reply, "My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it."


When he was told that his mother and brothers were outside and wished to speak with him, Jesus used the opportunity to speak of obedience to the Word of God. He was busy and could not be interrupted by an unexpected family visit. 

The passage reminds us of a very challenging message in the gospel, 

“If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

Hate is a strong word in American English; a particularly foul, distasteful word. The Gospels use such language because they don't have to be nice. The word reminds us, "If your religion doesn't make you feel uncomfortable once in a while, it's not from God. It's nothing more than a flattering reflection in your mirror. Get over yourself!"

Jesus lived under obedience to his Father, and he felt the continual presence of the Spirit guiding his thoughts, words, and deeds. He never set out to do this own thing, nor was he subject to the capricious winds of the economy, society, or politics. But when he had important things to do, even the winds and seas obeyed him. 

Today's gospel alludes to Jesus's mother and family, but it directs us to examine our impulses and intentions. Catholics get anxious about any reference to Mary that doesn't praise her. Never mind all that! The question right now is, "Am I acting today on the Word of God?" 

If I am attempting to do well by doing good, I may be at cross purposes to God's plan. And so I pray for guidance. I don't suppose today will be a day of great accomplishments. Which is all the more reason to pay attention to the details of attitudes, moods, and intentions as I navigate the hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.