Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Tuesday of the Twenty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 444

Beloved, this saying is trustworthy: whoever aspires to the office of bishop desires a noble task.


We might paraphrase Saint Paul's remark about bishops by saying, "...whoever aspires to leadership in the Church desires a noble task." Saint Augustine had this to say about his duty: 

"Where I’m terrified by what I am for you, I am given comfort by what I am with you.  For you I am a bishop, with you, after all, I am a Christian."

Conservative and liberal factions in the Church today argue about what the leadership of the future should look like. Will women ever be ordained? Or married men? Will married couples regain their footing in a turbulent society and send enough of their sons and daughters to leadership positions in the Church. Might insightful elders in the parish, recognizing capable members, take them aside and say, "You should prepare for ordination?"  

As I read again Saint Augustine's remark I recall Masses in the 1980's when a large number of lay ministers gathered with me after the Eucharistic Prayer. As the congregation rose, we joined hands as fellow servants and the entire Church recited the Lord's Prayer with one voice. (Today's fashions isolate me behind the altar, but the solidarity remains as we pray together.) 

Even now, when I invite them to recite the prayer, I let them take the cue and sound the words, "Our Father...." Invariably the group, whether large or small, spontaneously prays together; it's as if the Earth itself knows what to say and speaks through us. 

At that moment, I am not the leader; I am simply a member of the Body of Christ. For just that moment I am relieved of duty; it's a blessed feeling. 

Philosophers say, "We are given the leadership we deserve." But if we get only the leadership we deserve, the Church will wither like a severed branch. We pray that God will show mercy to his Church. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.