Friday, December 15, 2023

Friday of the Second Week of Advent

Lectionary: 185

Thus says the LORD, your redeemer,
the Holy One of Israel:
I, the LORD, your God,
teach you what is for your good,
and lead you on the way you should go.


My Irish friend gave me careful instructions on how to get to her house by bus. She had invited her whole family to meet me for a pleasant Sunday afternoon. 

I could have told her why I had to call, an hour late, and ask her to come get me, several miles from her house. Perhaps it's just as well she never asked. 

Men don't listen to instructions from women. I had taken the bus with her a few times. She'd been riding for years. And I thought I knew a better way. 

I, the LORD, your God,
teach you what is for your good...

Are you listening? Or do you think you can find a better way than the Lord? And you wonder at his exasperation? Hello? 

We hear his complaint again in today's gospel, 

To what shall I compare this generation?
[You're] like children who sit in marketplaces and call to one another,
'We played the flute for you, but you did not dance,
we sang a dirge but you did not mourn.'

I remember my Dad asking, "Why do you make it so complicated?" 

I've heard it said, "Obeying the Lord is the second most difficult way to live." Meaning, the most difficult way is my way. As in Sinatra's song, I did it my way

We do learn eventually. It seems to take a lifetime. But the Lord is also patient; he will not give up on us; and we will learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.