Saturday, December 23, 2023

Saturday of the Third Week of Advent

 Lectionary: 199

Yes, he is coming, says the LORD of hosts.
But who will endure the day of his coming?
And who can stand when he appears?
For he is like the refiner's fire,
or like the fuller's lye.
He will sit refining and purifying silver,
and he will purify the sons of Levi,
Refining them like gold or like silver
that they may offer due sacrifice to the LORD.


Gold and silver are precious metals; in part because of their astonishing beauty. But their ores need much refinement; they come with a lot of dross that must be removed. Most of the metal-rich dirt taken from the mine will be discarded after it's been filtered, sifted, and burned away. 

The prophet Malachi refers to that intense process when he ponders the ordeal the faithful must undergo as they welcome salvation. Like life and aging, it's not for the faint of heart, high maintenance, or emotionally delicate people. Nor is it for those who regard life as a lark, their bodies as playthings, and their time, money, and energy as infinitely expendable. 

I recently lost a very dear friend. I had known she was dying of Long Covid for some time. Seeing the advent of her death, I thought, "I'll grieve, and I'll get over it. It's a process we must all endure."  

But grief doesn't take lightly to such casual dismissals. The news when it came hit me pretty hard. Grief penetrates many dark, unknown, unfamiliar passage within one's soul; its hurt is unexpected no matter how much we might think we're prepared for it. 

The smelting of the human soul at the coming of the Messiah is also mysterious, prolonged, often painful, and always challenging. No one is exempt from the process, and even to call it a process is too dismissive. 

The prophets teach us to welcome grief, remorse, guilt, and new life as the Lord gives these blessings to us. They are beautiful -- as the Nubian maiden declared -- and we become beautiful also, like gold and silver seven times refined. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.