Friday, December 29, 2023

Optional Memorial of Saint Thomas Becket, Bishop and Martyr

 Lectionary: 202

"Lord, now let your servant go in peace;
your word has been fulfilled:
my own eyes have seen the salvation
which you prepared in the sight of every people,
a light to reveal you to the nations
and the glory of your people Israel."


Traditionally we call Simeon's canticle the Nunc dimittis. The Latin phrase means, "Now you may dismiss. " And we recite it at the end of the day, during Night Prayer. Clearly, Simeon's day was passing; he could not expect to see the Infant ascending to rule Israel, or expel the Romans, or whatever the Messiah was supposed to do. He was satisfied to see the long-awaited child, whom he calls "salvation."

Everyone in the infancy narratives of Saints Matthew and Luke see something wonderful: Mary and Joseph, the shepherds, two elderly couples in the temple (Zechariah and Elizabeth, Simeon and Anna ), the magi, and the awestruck relatives of John the Baptist. Only Herod is terrified by what he hears but will never see. Simeon's canticle evokes the memory of God's Wonderful Works of ancient times.

Faithful Christians have always followed the example of Zechariah. We look back upon each day with gratitude and wonder. "Lord, thank you for being with me today! I could not have made it without you." Sometimes we might wonder, "Where were you?" And often we must acknowledge with Saint Augustine, "You were with me but I was not with you." And then we thank God that he was with us despite our neglect. 

Zechariah also remembers the mission of the Jewish which the Christ/Messiah will complete. The Anointed must tell the nations what we have seen and heard. We must remind them of God's sovereignty; and if they will not listen our presence, prayers, and exemplary behavior will remind them. We are a holy people and we cannot act otherwise, even among the enemies of the Lord. 

And so we thank God again for shining through us, 

...a light to reveal you to the nations
and the glory of your people Israel."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.