Saturday, December 30, 2023

The Sixth Day in the Octave of Christmas

 Lectionary: 203

Do not love the world or the things of the world.
If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world,
sensual lust, enticement for the eyes, and a pretentious life,
is not from the Father but is from the world.
Yet the world and its enticement are passing away.
But whoever does the will of God remains forever.


Sometimes, as we watch TV -- yes, some of us still watch TV -- I hear friars remark about the ads, "That does nothing for me!" 
Well, of course not! They're not interested in you or me; they want young adults with money.

In my seventy-sixth year, it's not hard to understand the alienation from this world that Saint John describes in his letters. The entertainment media often hurl sensual lusts, enticements for the eyes, and pretentious invitations that do nothing for me. Clearly, the big money is not marketing to me. If I were such a fool as to be interested, I can't afford what they're selling anyway. 

Unfortunately, that lack of interest in the allurements of 2023 hasn't meant a deeper spiritual life for me. There remain a gazillion ways to distract my attention, and waste my time and energy. For relaxation, I took up billiards a few years ago; I tell people I am wasting my second childhood in the pool hall! (But, while researching that famous quip, I found a better one by W.C. Fields: "I spent half my money on booze, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.")
Where was I? Oh yeah....

Our faith teaches us to find delight, amazement, and occasional amusement in the practice of religion. There are many howlers in the scriptures that leave our neighbors cold but tickle the funny bone of those with refreshed eyes. I think of Jonah's complaints and Saint Peter's escapes from prison. I recall Saint Thomas More's remark about his guiltless beard moments before his decapitation, and Saint Lawrence's taunting the emperor with the fabulous wealth of the Church (the poor, homeless, hungry, and needy.) And we laugh with all the saints as Balaam argues with his ass. 

Like Simeon and Anna, we learn to appreciate God's wonderful works, including those we have seen and heard about. We would readily travel with the young Mary to see the elderly Elizabeth pregnant with John the Baptist. We would certainly stop to watch the wreckage of Egypt's chariots, charioteers, and horses in the Red Sea. 

Beyond its useless distractions, the Internet also offers wonderful stories and images to encourage our spiritual life; they are gleaned from thousand years of God's guidance to people of every language, nation, and location. Deserts, mountains, forests, jungles, and oceans have shaped the cultures of many people who give us religious stories to tell and sacred traditions to share

The practice of faith fascinates the heart of God's people as we are drawn into the heart of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.