Thursday, December 14, 2023

Memorial of Saint John of the Cross, Priest and Doctor of the Church

 Lectionary: 184

From the days of John the Baptist until now,
the Kingdom of heaven suffers violence,
and the violent are taking it by force.
All the prophets and the law prophesied up to the time of John.
And if you are willing to accept it,
he is Elijah, the one who is to come.
Whoever has ears ought to hear."


Sometimes, dear consumer, you must choose what you don't want, and do what you dislike. Sometimes you must oppose yourself. You must do it because you don't want to, and you can use the energy you waste on resisting to overcome yourself. And it will feel like violence. 

When Jesus tells us the violent are taking the kingdom of God by force, he creates an image of sieging armies surrounding, storming, and breaking into a defended city. The battle can take months and there is suffering on all sides, but the victory is complete.  

The Lord himself will suffer; he seems to know that as he speaks with his disciples. And he is eager for the battle. During his Last Supper he insisted,

“I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer, for, I tell you, I shall not eat it [again] until there is fulfillment in the kingdom of God.

Practicing penance, especially during the approach to Christmas when the world goes a little mad, is a struggle with oneself. We have to be sociable. We understand that for them, Christmas is over on the 25th day of the month. By midday, they will settle into the usual holiday routines of visiting and televised football. In the meanwhile, they indulge in festive overeating and overspending, while we're called to "come apart and rest a while." 

Even our resting can feel like a kind of violence as we withdraw while they rush into the holiday spirit. 

Penance is a practice of introspection; it is also extrospective, in the sense that I step outside myself to see how I act within the context of my family, friends, and culture. How do I conform to the sinful, absurd practices of my given society? Penance takes stock of myself and my world, and longs for the Kingdom of God. 

In the Spirit of Advent, Penance is joyful, expectant, and hopeful. Except for those deeply attached to something other than God, acknowledging one's helpless sinfulness is not terribly difficult. We are dirt, as the Lord said, but are nonetheless loved and empowered to walk with Jesus on the road to Jerusalem and Calvary -- by way of Bethlehem. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.