Saturday, August 24, 2024

Feast of Saint Bartholomew, Apostle

Lectionary: 629

"Come here.
I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."
He took me in spirit to a great, high mountain
and showed me the holy city Jerusalem
coming down out of heaven from God.

Many people like to get married on Saturday. This fourth Saturday of August may be a bit late in the season, but today's reading on the feast of the Apostle Bartholomew fits the theme of weddings. Like Barnabas, we should be "as sheep in the midst of wolves, ...shrewd as serpents and simple as doves." 

Brides have that look of innocence and simplicity with, perhaps, a touch of shrewdness. And the gentlemen who accompany them also seem prepared and fit for whatever might come. 

Our omnipotent, all-seeing God -- who governs the world with mercy and justice -- has an ability far beyond human capacity: he can see us as the sinful people that we are; and beautiful, holy, and pure like falling snow. Meeting Nathaniel, the Lord recognized "a true child of Israel," and said, "There is no duplicity in him."

When the Father looks at Jesus he is pleased, and he sees us through the eyes of Jesus with the same pleasure. We are beautiful in God's sight.  

He also shares that vision with us. Parents see innocence and mischief on the sleeping faces of their children; and sometimes while they're playing. From the altar, a priest sees it in the congregation. Maturity in faith gives us that shrewd simplicity as we live with one another and make critical decisions. It is a gift which must be cultivated. 

As Saint Paul wrapped up his brief letter to the Philippians, he urged them, 
Finally... whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 
Keep on doing what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me. Then the God of peace will be with you.

It takes patience and practice, determination and time. We have time; God in his mercy gives us that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.