Friday, August 16, 2024

Friday of the Nineteenth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 417

"Not all can accept this word,
but only those to whom that is granted.
Some are incapable of marriage because they were born so;
some, because they were made so by others;
some, because they have renounced marriage
for the sake of the Kingdom of heaven.
Whoever can accept this ought to accept it."

I am reading the autobiography of Saint Theresa Benedicta of the Cross, known to the world as Edith Stein. Born of a devout Jewish family, she was a serious student who discovered a passionate love of philosophy through her study of educational psychology. Even as a young collegiate she realized that psychology needed a better foundation in philosophy, and she found that in phenomenology. Her mother was sometimes dismayed to catch her reading and rereading Plato. 

The young philosopher noticed fascinating, good-looking young men but she admits her habitual reserve never allowed anyone to see her interest, even when they took a curious interest in her. Her passion was study and, eventually, the pursuit of Truth. Discovering Christ after reading the autobiography of Saint Theresa of Avila's Autobiography in a single night, she became a Catholic and entered a Carmelite monastery soon afterward. 

Saint Theresa Benedicta of the Cross exemplifies Jesus's observation, "...some have renounced marriage for the sake of the Kingdom of heaven." Initially fascinated by the pursuit of Truth, and finding herself on the way to Carmel (and finally to Auschwitz, the Jewish nun was murdered precisely because she had become Catholic) she could not be distracted by fantasies of romance, marriage, children, and the surrender of her curiosity for Truth. The Carmelite spirituality of chaste marriage to Christ satisfied her mind even as the Lord filled her heart. 

If I remember correctly, I had already taken solemn vows as a Franciscan and accepted the ordination to priesthood before the Lord's statement came home to me. "Oh!" I said. "That explains it!" But I also remember many conversations before that, with lovely women of my own age as an undergraduate. Oddly, these midnight soirees only confirmed the path that lay before me. I had been made a "eunuch for the sake of the Kingdom of heaven," and it made sense to me. 

I find the world's fascination with sex both troubling and amusing. The groundbreaking psychiatrist Sigmund Freud convinced millions that they must have Sex. Life without it is unthinkable, stunted, frustrated, and meaningless! 

Despite the fact that most people are not in very exciting, satisfying, or even interesting sexual relationships. There's a lot of lonely people out there. Unfortunately, they are prey to the marketeers, teachers, and counselors who tell them they are unhappy and frustrated; and they should not be like that. They use that fallacious belief to promote innumerable sexual "lifestyles." And, because human beings are endlessly creative, they create evermore fascinating and utterly meaningless sexual adventures, preferences, and identities. If they can only figure out and get their kind of sex while living their unique sexual lifestyle, they'll be happy! 

Hello? 

Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy; and my burden, light. Mt 11:28-30

Celibacy is just fine, and chastity -- married or celibate -- delights everyone who turns to the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.