Saturday, August 31, 2024

Saturday of the Twenty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 430

Consider your own calling, brothers and sisters.
Not many of you were wise by human standards,
not many were powerful,
not many were of noble birth.
Rather, God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise....

I have believed for a long time that faith and a sense of humor are closely related and may be the same thing, or different facets of the same mystery. Anyone who claims to have faith in God and confidence in the power and authority of God's word can relax, laugh, and go along for the ride. We not only expect great things, we see them happening in our own lives. The same lives which, by many standards, are frankly disappointing. 

I have attended many twelve-step meetings as a member, and I am familiar with similar programs. Those who attend such meetings, practice their methods, and enjoy their spirit frankly admit they are damaged goods. At some point, or at many points, we washed up on a barren reef, lost and friendless. We had uselessly spent our strength; everything that had worked for us failed and there was no place left to go except to this meeting of strangers. 

I found a group in Minnesota, a suburb of the Twin Cities. It seemed we should be meeting in the fourth subbasement of an urban tower, secretive, hidden from the public and every human authority. Who we saw there and what was said there should go unremarked and unreported. We could admit we had failed and there'd be no consequences beyond this room and these one-named individuals. 

But I felt better the next day for having attended the meeting, and my life rapidly changed after that. I had one purpose at least, to return to that group and share what I'd learned. Gifted with speaking ability and willing to listen to others, I remembered that I had some worth. 

Each one practiced some religion, but we had a saying, "Religion is for those who are afraid of going to hell; the Program is for those who've been there." (I prefer the word program to spirituality as the latter has lost all definition in today's conversation.) 

We could share the energy, purpose, and hope we'd found by practicing "these principles in all our affairs." Our conversation was not didactic; we did not teach. We shared, "How I work the program and how the program works for me." We confessed our failures, lapses, and relapses. No one was expected to return though we hoped everyone would. And many did not. Perhaps they'd found their way and prospered; perhaps they'd foundered and failed. We could not be surprised by either outcome. 

Not many... were wise by human standards,
not many were powerful,
not many were of noble birth.
Rather, God chose the foolish of the world to shame the wise....

 We learned gratitude and gladness. We discovered faith and a sense of humor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.