Thursday, August 8, 2024

Memorial of Saint Dominic, priest

Lectionary: 410

Jesus went into the region of Caesarea Philippi and he asked his disciples,
"Who do people say that the Son of Man is?"


Like any other teacher, the Lord wants feedback from his disciples. And so he conducts a midterm exam. By this time they should have some clue as to the right answers to two questions.  But the second will be a summary of his life and everything he has taught, and everything they have seen, so far, "Who do you say I am?" 

On a retreat at Marytown in northern Illinois, I have heard the midterm challenge. I also heard him say to Jeremiah, "Do not say 'I am too young!'" So when he questions me, he says, "Do not say, 'I am too old.'" He has no patience for weaseling. (See the Book of Jonah.) 

But it's a question one answers with a lifetime. And not with words, not even the right words, regardless of their sincerity or accuracy. But there is a "right answer," and there are many wrong ones. They are told in deeds and in time, and often with few words. 

Much later -- long after this conversation on the road in Caesarea -- Peter will finally answer from his desperation and anguish, "Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you."

"You know I have failed you. And you know how often. And you know why I failed you. It was greed or sloth or lust. It was pride or anger. God, the list is endless. But you know the whole of it, and you know its worth. Treat me as one of your hired servants."

The rest is His. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.