Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Memorial of Saint Jerome, Priest and Doctor of the Church

 Lectionary: 457

I know well that it is so;
but how can a man be justified before God?
Should one wish to contend with him,
he could not answer him once in a thousand times.
God is wise in heart and mighty in strength;
who has withstood him and remained unscathed?

Jesus refuses everyone who approaches him in today's Gospel. The first volunteer is turned away; and the other two, called to follow, make excuses. They're like the invited guests who have bought a wife and married a cow. 

Often, when making a critical decision, we give ourselves time to think about it. Saint Ignatius recommended "Discernment of Spirits," a time-consuming process which examines options, discards both the impossible and the immoral, and then considers what's left. 

But, on the more fundamental level of our being, there is no time for delay. I am called immediately and consistently to say yes! to the Lord's call -- despite my not knowing what the decision entails or its likely outcome.  

We cannot negotiate with the God who is "wise in heart and mighty in strength." Rather we wait on his will and stand ready to hear his command. Delay only invites that scathing business which Job had apparently survived already, even before Satan challenged God about the old man's sincerity. 

But, perhaps because he had remained faithful to the Lord in good times and bad, he remained faithful throughout this 40+ chapter book of anguish and frustration. Job, and today's patron, Saint Jerome, would surely warn us as other saints have done, "During the hard times, remember the good; and during the good times remember the bad." 

During the last ten to twenty years I've sometimes asked myself, "Ken, is this the worst you've ever suffered?"
    And answered, "Oh hell no! Let me tell you about.....!"

We keep faith through it all and let God be God. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.