Saturday, July 3, 2010

Feast of Saint Thomas, Apostle



"Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands
and put my finger into the nailmarks
and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."
My Dad rarely spoke to me of his war experience. He said he “never saw action,” and for that he was very grateful. But he told my youngest brother, who was born several years after I left home, that he had come after battles and carried away the corpses.  I wonder how that affected the young Marine in the final months of World War II.
When Jesus appeared to his disciples he was three days dead. The stench of a human being three days dead is unspeakable. And yet Jesus’ scent – his breath and his sweat – were wonderful. We can suppose that. As he breathed on his disciples they were filled with the Holy Spirit; they discovered courage, joy and vitality as they had never known before.
The episode about Saint Thomas adds another detail to our image of Jesus, the nail marks in his hands. This is the only place in scripture where we hear of that fascinating detail. No matter how tiny the crucifix, the nails binding him to the cross always appear.  
Nails are symbols of finality and attachment. Listen to carpenters hammering and you will know the final stroke that drives the nail home. It will stay there until the wood rots around it.
When Jesus was nailed to the cross his tormentors had no intention of taking him down. He could hang there till his body dried to jerky for all they cared. The vultures would feast on his flesh as the crows picked at his eyes. Strangers passing by might wonder, “What is that horrible stench? What is that horrible sight? is it possible that might have been a man?”
Fortunately, we are told, that Sabbath was an especially holy feast for the Jews and the Romans, fearing uproar among the sanctimonious crowds, agreed to have the body removed.
Thomas knew of the nails and the spear. He wanted to see and touch the wounds and the Lord granted his request.
We too can see his wounds. They are precious to the eyes of faith; jewels of infinite value, presented for our contemplation and amazement.

What wondrous love is this
that caused the Lord of bliss 
to bear the dreadful cross
for my soul?

1 comment:

  1. I like the details about Thomas. I am "I got to touch it to understand it" kind of person. But to touch the nail marks of Jesus, that would be scary. This tells me how close, how intimate, Thomas was to Jesus. Maybe it challenges me to grow.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.