Sunday, July 4, 2010

Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time




Into whatever house you enter, first say,
'Peace to this household.'

The Hebrew word for peace is shalom.
Shalom is a blessing, a gift, like a blanket or a breath of fresh air, one gives to another. It is a Presence the holy give to their hosts as they enter their homes. It is a word of greeting from the one who arrives and from the One who sent the guest. It’s also a presence in one’s home, shared with friends, family, strangers and enemies – whoever enters peacefully.
Shalom must be treasured, cultivated and protected. While it is resilient under stress it may depart when neglected or insulted.
When Jesus sent his disciples into the world he gave them his Shalom to bring to those who would welcome them. He assured them,
If a peaceful person lives there,
your peace will rest on him;
but if not, it will return to you. 
You need not lose any sleep over that. if they will not welcome you, just shake the dust off your feet in testimony against them – a prophetic gesture – and be on your way. There is plenty of time to announce the Gospel to those who welcome you, but there’s no time to waste on those who will not.

I have experienced shalom as a crystal ball, resting easily in the cup of my outstretched hands. Although I hold it in my hands, it is not mine. There is a nearly invisible wire attached to it. That wire is fastened to the top of the ball; its other end stretches into the sky. I cannot see who or what is at the other end of that wire.
As I hold the crystal in my hand it moves and I follow it. I pay attention to it, keeping my eyes fixed on it, obedient and docile. Wherever it goes, I go. When it stops, I stop with it. Wherever it is, there is peace.
But sometimes I take my eye off the ball. I think, “I know where this is going!” I anticipate its next move and walk in that direction, my hands still held out in front of me. Watching where I am going, I do not notice my hands are empty. Shalom has left me. Or I left it.
My soul is in turmoil but I pay no attention. I know where I am going. I’m sure this is where “God” wants me to go. I am sure of my obedience, my virtue, and my righteousness. I think I can show others how to attain peace. If necessary, because my mission is urgent, I’ll use force! They’ll thank me for it later.
But eventually I break down. I cannot go on. I have done evil in the cause of what I thought was righteous. I was not following Shalom.
I must sit down right there and wait. This is where I have found myself; this is where I must wait for God to find me. I will do penance, confessing my sins and apologizing whenever possible.
Shalom returns. I know it in my heart. I feel peace again, and reconciled to God. I feel healing return, though it will take much time. It doesn’t matter how long it takes; so long as I am following Shalom I have all the time in the world. And I follow again where it leads me, one step at a time.

As we celebrate Independence Day here in the United States, we must ask God to give us this gift. In his mercy God offers Shalom to everyone – individuals and groups, cities, states, churches and nations – who seek it with all their hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.