Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday of the Sixteenth Week in Ordinary Time



In the good old days Sister told us to confess all our sins, including missing Sunday Mass or eating meat on Friday, regardless of our excuses. Even if you were undergoing open heart surgery on that particular Sunday, you should confess it – just in case.
Eventually your confessor would tell you to ease up a bit. God surely would not hold that against you. Open heart surgery, being lost at sea or stranded in outer space – although not listed as exemptions in the Book of Life, were probably sufficient reasons for missing Sunday Mass. Your weary confessor may even have said he didn’t want to hear about it anymore. You should believe in God’s mercy.
I know; I’ve been there. I also know that Sister trumps the priest every time and you probably still confess that you missed Mass because the dog opened the gas cap on your car and lapped up all your fuel.
One time I forgot to celebrate the Sunday Mass in a neighboring parish. I had promised the pastor I would be there but was distracted by an event in my own parish. The next week, when I heard confessions at that church, I heard all about it!
But there was something to be said for that scrupulous mentality. If only one thing. It gives us the opportunity to experience God’s mercy in the Sacrament once again. Our God “delights in clemency” and we delight in God’s forgiveness.
Recently, I was supposed to celebrate Mass in Clarksville on a Friday morning. I would have been there but I was stranded in Houston Texas, waiting for a morning flight. I should have called the pastor to tell him I couldn’t be there but it took me three hours to get to the motel and the power went out in an electrical storm and I was thinking “Today is Friday” but it was only Thursday. And so forth. In short, I forgot all about it.
I had a pretty good excuse. But I still owe the people who went without Mass that Friday morning an apology. And they will delight in showing clemency.
The Sacrament of Penance, despite its recent neglect is still with us. It is still one of the most beautiful treasures of our Catholic Church. Whether we deserve it or not, regardless of our reasons or excuses, we celebrate the Sacrament with our God, taking His two hands in our own and dancing for joy. 
Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt
and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance;
Who does not persist in anger forever,
but delights rather in clemency,
And will again have compassion on us,
treading underfoot our guilt?
You will cast into the depths of the sea
all our sins;
You will show faithfulness to
Jacob,
and grace to
Abraham,
As you have sworn to our fathers
from days of old. 

Photo: The Hore Monastery, an ancient ruin below The Rock of Cashel, Ireland. Click on it for larger picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.