Friday, January 3, 2014

Christmas Weekday




John testified further, saying,
“I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him.
I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me,
‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain,
he is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’
Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”


The gospels describe with much excitement the activity of the Holy Spirit. Saint John has been blessed with the Spirit since before his birth. He danced with joy in his mother’s womb at the approach of Jesus. After his birth, Saint Luke says, “The child grew and became strong in spirit…” This inspired man, then, will recognize Jesus, the one who baptizes with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
like recognizes like. like is attracted to like.

As Christian missionaries go out from Jerusalem to the world, they look for signs of the Holy Spirit. These signs indicate a readiness to hear the Good News. They are manifold, of course: love of children; respect for the elderly; care for the sick; reverence for the dead; a passion for justice, a sense of fair play; and so forth.

We need not take a hostile stance against the world as if we are sent to drag people out of their world and into our own. Even an aesthetic of beauty invites the Revelation of the Beautiful Word of God.
On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain…” may be a person receptive to the Gospel. This attraction of like for like finds common ground between the disciples of Jesus and unbelievers. Recently Pope Francis appealed to atheists to join the Church in our search for peace:

And to nonbelievers too, I invite you to desire peace – that kind of desire makes one's heart bigger – so all of us together, whether in prayer or in desire, but all of us together, might seek peace.
The Kingdom of God is more than a word, doctrine or creed. It is not a set of opinions or a way of thinking. Though we have been sent to announce the Kingdom, it belongs to no one. The difference between believers and unbelievers is not as radical as most of us would like to think. 

The Kingdom of God is more real than politics. To enter we must work with others in the Spirit the Lord gives to everyone in various measures. That spirit “overcomes” the world and initiates peace not by coercion or violence but by inviting everyone to see as God sees and to love as God loves. We testify and believe that he is the Son of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.