Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Octave Day of the Nativity of the Lord Solemnity of Mary, the Holy Mother of God

Lectionary: 18

When the fullness of time had come, God sent his Son,
born of a woman, born under the law,
to ransom those under the law,
so that we might receive adoption as sons.
As proof that you are sons,
God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts,
crying out, “Abba, Father!”
So you are no longer a slave but a son,
and if a son then also an heir, through God.



Pope John Paul II began his encyclical, Redemptoris Mater, with this passage from Saint Paul’s Letter to the Galatians. Historically, it is the first documented reference to the Mother of God. The epistle is older than the gospels and most of the New Testament. Though it seems only a passing remark about Mary, it is critically important in our understanding of Jesus, and of who we are in relation to Jesus.

He is “born of a woman” in “the fullness of time.” Already we can see how important her fiat was in God’s plan. If the fullness of time has come it is critical that the chosen woman should be ready and willing to play her part. Several years after Galatians was written, Saint Luke fleshed out the story, telling us of the Angel Gabriel’s appearance to Mary, her amazement and surprise, and her wonderful response. Our salvation could not proceed without it.
That miracle would be more than a passing grade on God’s scorecard; it would be more than a reprieve from further punishment. It would be “adoption as and daughters; …and if a (child), then also an heir, through God.”


But even adoption will prove to be too weak a word for Saint Paul. The adopted heir is not biologically related to the parent. As his reflections continued Saint Paul would see that, through Baptism and Eucharist, we are made one flesh with the Lord Jesus.
“As proof that you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his son into our hearts, crying out, Abba, Father!” Just as the human body must breathe to live, so does the Body of Christ breathe the Holy Spirit. How do I know I am in Christ Jesus? I pray in his spirit.

Children of God in the flesh and in the spirit, we are daughters and sons of Mary, united in the life of Jesus.

The Church begins the year with this solemn feast of Mary’s most sacred title. She is Mother of God. I remember as a child trying to figure that out. Though I knew little of biology and less of theology I still wondered how a woman could be God’s creature and God’s mother. 

Today I can see how we got there, but I am still baffled. Or perhaps, awed!


The eighth day of Christmas, the octave, carries a sense of fullness with it, the fullness of time. We’re ready to begin a new year as children of Mary, heirs of God in the flesh of Jesus.
May the Lord bless you and your new year, and all your loved ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.