Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thursday after Epiphany

Lectionary: 215


Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is begotten by God, and everyone who loves the Father loves also the one begotten by him. 
In this way we know that we love the children of God when we love God and obey his commandments. 
For the love of God is this, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome, for whoever is begotten by God conquers the world. And the victory that conquers the world is our faith.



I recently finished Jonathan Shay's 1994 study of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Achilles in Vietnam. It was a ground-breaking study at the time and is still very relevant to anyone who wants to know more about the horror of war without going there. 

Among his many observations is how the Christian religion fails to prepare American soldiers for the rigors of combat. Shay points to the shepherd David's moralistic shouts at the giant Goliath:
You come against me with sword and spear and scimitar, but I come against you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel whom you have insulted.
Every Christian school boy thrills at the lad's conquest of the giant bully; but demonizing the enemy, and regarding them as diabolical allies of Satan who have little intelligence, no human integrity and no right to life, do not prepare men to be warriors. Contempt for the enemy becomes contempt for oneself and what "I, the Christian soldier" have done to them. How can one claim victory over someone who is clearly inferior? Can you take pride in killing vermin? 

The Greek and Trojan warriors of Homer's epic treated their enemies with great respect even as they fought. In the end Achilles' rampage -- brought on by the moral infidelity of his superior -- dishonored himself, Hector and the Greek army. His madness was a tragedy; it should not have happened. 

Achilles in Vietnam reminds me that Christianity was never meant to be a warrior's religion, or even that of a militarized, wealthy nation. It is a religion for the poor, the outcast and those who have no aspirations for power in this world. 

The First Letter of Saint John, which I have cited above, speaks words of comfort and reassurance to those who find themselves blessed with poverty. 

Our only claim to recognition in God's sight is our belief "that Jesus is the Christ...." With that belief comes a package of blessings: we are beloved of God; we are begotten of God; we are children of God; we love one another; we obey his commandments; and we conquer the world. 

We only embarrass our selves if we advertise these claims on a billboard. What is worse: we cancel our blessings by boasting of them. 

I remember as a child trying to outshout the playground bullies by claiming my virtue. I accused one fellow of being "a juvenile delinquent!" He got a big laugh out of that! I would have done better to take my licks and go home; or to give as well as I got -- which is what I finally did -- and quit claiming the moral high ground. 

Saint John speaks soothingly to his battered congregation. He doesn't intend to send them marching into the streets. He doesn't expect them to demand vengeance or their rights or their day in court. 

They must keep their eyes on the Lord who suffered with them and for them. They will find their strength and courage there, not in belittling their opponents. In the culture which the Holy Spirit creates, they will treat one another with tender mercy even as their neighbors hector them. They will know the peace the world cannot give and does not want. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.