Sunday, January 19, 2014

Second Sunday in Ordinary Time



John testified further, saying, “I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from heaven and remain upon him.

…and the dove came back to him in the evening, and there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf; so Noah knew that the waters had subsided from the earth. (Genesis 8:11)


Leave the towns, and live on the rock, O inhabitants of Moab! Be like the dove that nests on the sides of the mouth of a gorge. Jeremiah 48.28

The turtle dove of biblical fame resembles our Mourning Dove, a graceful flyer that brightens the spring morning with its call. They seem more peaceful than mournful. In American political discourse, and from ancient times the dove is honored as a peace-loving creature who flees trouble. It is probably the dove who prays,

For he will hide me in his shelter
in the day of trouble;
he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;
he will set me high on a rock.
(Psalm 27:5)

Likewise, he is the bird in Psalm 11,
In the LORD I take refuge; how can you say to me, “Flee like a bird to the mountains!”

When we see the timid bird descend upon Jesus we know he is the Prince of Peace. The dove takes shelter under his wings.
Say to the LORD, “My refuge and fortress, my God in whom I trust.” He will rescue you from the fowler’s snare, from the destroying plague, He will shelter you with his pinions,and under his wings you may take refuge; his faithfulness is a protecting shield. Psalm 91:2-4

I am reading David Kilcullen's book, Out of the Mountains: The Coming Age of the Urban Guerrilla. He looks at the present state of conflicts in the world and future possibilities. Given the continuing population growth, the flight to the cities, especially coastal cities, and still expanding electronic connectivity, we can expect future threats not from nation states but from non-governmental organizations.

Terrorists, organized crime and common thieves already have enormous power to disrupt everyday life. We saw last April how two men shut down Boston for several days -- for no particular reason that concerned Bostonians. Kilcullen looks at the deep roots of violence that run through our poverty-stricken cities and describes how it erupts in unexpected places. 
Clearly there is no security apparatus so effective and there is no place so isolated that it will never experience mayhem. 

Pope Paul VI startled the world a half-century ago when he spoke to the United Nations, "If you want peace, work for justice." Justice begins by creating and living by just laws. The just person has no need to live better than anyone else. We have seen that consistently demonstrated in the life of every saint and nearly everyone who makes a difference in this world. 

By his cross Jesus taught the world the way of peace. Violence stopped with him. He would not avenge himself on anyone. Neither he nor his Church can hate anyone. 

The Spirit of Peace descended upon Jesus in the form of a dove and rests upon him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.