Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time



Lectionary: 311


“Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them?
As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast. But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast on that day.



When I was a boy Catholics never ate meat on Friday. Even when Christmas fell on Friday we dared not indulge in turkey, chicken or ham. Not even the lowly hotdog was acceptable. The Spirit of Christmas, it seemed, is well and good but “Rules are Rules!” and we cannot amend them to suit our preferences. Catholics could not afford to relax their discipline lest the Protestants say, “Aha! Good! Our eyes have seen it!”

Today’s gospel reminds us there is a time for everything. The wedding guests do not fast while the bridegroom is with them; but they will fast later, when he is taken from them.

How do we know which authority to obey especially when dealing with God?

In today’s reading from the First Book of Samuel we hear history’s first quarrel between church and state. The prophet and the king seriously disagree about the best course of action. Saul rewards the soldiers who have fought with him; Samuel demands stricter discipline. Warriors for the Lord, he maintains, are not permitted to plunder defeated enemies. Predictably, the prophet invokes the higher virtue of unquestioning obedience. Saul is a soldier; he should know that.

You'll recall from last Friday's first reading, Samuel never did like the idea of kingship though he had a certain fatherly affection for Saul.

“Does the LORD so delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obedience to the command of the LORD? Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission than the fat of rams.


There's a lot to be said for obedience. I remember debates in my novice class whether we should bury the turnips upside down if the novice master told us to. (I can only suppose he used the example; I wouldn't know which end of the turnip is up.) On the one hand, a man should use his own common sense. On the other, we should do what the Man says.

Almost fifty years later I arrive at the conclusion that, I think, agrees with the insight of a much younger man, Saint Francis of Assisi. I should do what the superior tells me so that I won't do what I want. Not that what I want is bad; it's just not important. If the only reason I like my opinion is that it's my opinion, I should drop it like a hot potato, or turnip. My salvation is with the community; doing things my way won't get me there.

There's a handy principle there. Eating fish on Christmas Day probably never killed anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.