Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday of the Third Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 317


I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him,
That my hand may be always with him,
and that my arm may make him strong.

    Psalm 89



Following upon yesterday's reflection about Church unity, our readings consider the divine election of King David and Jesus' parable of the house divided. 

Our unity is personal. It is an expression of our belief in Jesus Christ. It is not based upon our ideas about God, our opinions about politics, or our philosophical ruminations. As a Church we have constitutions and laws, but they do not hold us together as the Constitution binds the United States together. 

We practice personal loyalty first to Jesus Christ. Secondly, we are loyal to those men and women appointed to lead our churches and families. 

Therein lies the rub. Sometimes some people don't like the priest or pastor. He or she may not have the gravitas a pastor should have; or may have too much of it. Or they speak with an accent. Or they don't work hard enough, or they work too hard. Or they don't relate to old people, or young people, or sick people, or poor people, or rich people. And so forth and so on....

Nevertheless the Church retains that preference for persons. For instance, today we celebrate Saint Angela Merici, foundress of the Ursuline Order. Her sisters today, and many of her devotees, will reflect upon her personal integrity and her teachings. They must do that to retain their identity as servants of the Church. 

Father Pius Poff
Friars, sisters and lay followers of Saint Francis of Assisi venerate our founder in the same way. We must keep the memory of the Poverello  alive until the end of time! 

In my own life, I have occasionally experienced great conflict about my parents. Some of my experience doesn't make sense. Some of the memories are hard to bear. But there came a day when I realized I would not trade my parents for anyone. I feel great love, affection and loyalty to Marty and Edith. I understand their shortcomings; forgiving them is as easy as brushing away a pesky fly. They forgave me as easily. 


What we say of our family echoes what the Lord says of us, "You shall be my people and I will be your God." With us, it's personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.