Monday, March 11, 2019

Monday of the First Week of Lent

Lectionary: 244

The LORD said to Moses, "Speak to the whole assembly of the children of Israel and tell them: Be holy, for I, the LORD, your God, am holy.


Today's first reading gives us an expanded version of the Decalogue, the Ten Commandments.
I sometimes ask the Veterans in treatment for substance abuse, "What should be your ten commandments of sobriety?" Some will readily reply, "I won't drink." or "I won't use heroin."
Beyond that these men and women, only days or a few weeks into adult sobriety, haven't a clue.
The original ten commandments were a concise formula for freedom. If you would be free you will observe these precepts, laws, decrees, statutes, and commands. You will cultivate the Fear of the Lord for that is the beginning of wisdom.
In many ways the entire Old Testament describes the Jewish history and conception of freedom. The word testament could as well be covenant and the covenant is all about God's people who are free from Egyptian slavery so long as they belong to the Lord. 

Their religion, inspired not by nationalistic fervor but by the Holy Spirit, would lead them ever deeper into the mystery of freedom. Freedom is not merely freedom from the external bondage of foreign governments. It includes freedom within their own country under the just rule of a wise ruler. It is the freedom of belonging to and living among one's own people, of giving and receiving within one's own family, of sharing ample resources without fear of shortages. 
Freedom must include the freedom from one's own desires, preferences and opinions as the people, tribe or family share life together. I can freely ask what I want and as freely accept no for an answer.
Daring to speak mysteriously to the Veterans in the substance abuse rehabilitation program, I declare, "Freedom is a jealous God. Freedom will abide no strange gods."
Lent reminds us of this jealous God who promises freedom and demands our attention:

For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their ancestors’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation; but showing love down to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
Lent invites us to examine our shackles. To what am I chained? How will the Lord lead me out of bondage as we advance toward Calvary? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.