Saturday, March 2, 2019

Saturday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 346

God from the earth created man,
and in his own image he made him.
He makes man return to earth again,
and endows him with a strength of his own.
Limited days of life he gives him,
with power over all things else on earth.



Our first reading today, from the Book of Ecclesiasticus, written by the Jewish sage, Jesus ben Sirach, celebrates the wonder and beauty of the human creature. 
Shakespeare gave to his Hamlet a similar reflection, 
What a piece of work is man, How noble in reason, how infinite in faculty, In form and moving how express and admirable, In action how like an Angel, In apprehension how like a god, The beauty of the world, The paragon of animals. 
But these men of genius differ: the melancholy Hamlet must add, "And yet to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me, nor woman neither...." 
Sirach will add in the twentieth verse (beyond today's seventeen verses) an acknowledgement of human sin, 
"Their iniquities cannot be hidden from him; all their sins are before the Lord."
But he does not evince Hamlet's disgust. On the contrary, Sirach's God is nonetheless pleased with his creature: 
Human goodness is like a signet ring with God and virtue he keeps like the apple of his eye.
I find his attitude refreshing and inspiring. No one needs to look very far to find much that is "rotten in the state of Denmark" -- or Indiana. And there are times when the stench is overwhelming. 
But our faith must sustain us and we must maintain a joyful gratitude. 

Sirach could not know that he was speaking of Jesus Christ as he praised God's handiwork. The Nazarene would vindicate God's creation and its godlike creature. The sage's Jewish faith anticipated the One who was yet to be born of the Virgin. 
Nor did Sirach hear the voice of God over the Jordan River, "This is my beloved Son with whom I am well pleased." But he would have understood that God has judged all human nature in the light of Jesus' passion and death. We are saved by faith, especially by Jesus' faith. 
For you make me jubilant, LORD, by your deeds; at the works of your hands I shout for joy. Psalm 92:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.