Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Wednesday of the First Week in Lent

Lectionary: 226

When God saw by their actions how they turned from their evil way, he repented of the evil that he had threatened to do to them; he did not carry it out.


The Book of Jonah is a comical story, told to challenge a hard-hearted people to turn back to the Lord. I am sure its first hearers, upon learning that the entire city of Nineveh had repented of their evil ways and were praying to God in sackcloth and ashes replied, "Yeah, right! As if..."
Not in this world. Not in Jerusalem, or Rome, or Washington DC. 
And yet there is no law or principle or insurmountable barrier to prevent its happening. If one man can repent of his sin and one woman can turn back to the Lord, who is to say several people, or a congregation, or a nation cannot? 
But there is one insurmountable barrier and that is the impassable gulf between us. I cannot know what you are thinking or feeling with absolute certainty. I can only hear your words and read your expression and trust that we understand each other. In our prayers and conversation I feel that we are like the strings on a guitar, tuned to each other and vibrating sympathetically. As we move together in liturgical procession, like square dancers in a hoedown, I believe that we're enjoying this Holy Spirit that has synchronized our steps. 
But, I have to admit, I suffer doubt also about my own presence to the word. I have heard the Word of God, that heavenly, delightful invitation that also threatens the recalcitrant with doom, and I wish with all my heart that I were as faithful as the Word demands. But I have a history of infidelity. 
Even as I enjoy the inspired prayers of this congregation with our songs and responses and devout communion procession, I know that "I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof." Nor can I expect the Just Judge to overlook this sinner because he has camouflaged himself in sheep's clothing and hidden among the devout. 
And so we pray, Parce, Domine....
"Spare, O Lord, Spare your people, lest you be angry with us for all eternity." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.