Saturday, March 23, 2019

Saturday of the Second Week of Lent

Lectionary: 235

A man had two sons...

Those five words began a familiar story to Jesus's listeners. It might have been so familiar that the critical Pharisees and scribes rolled their eyes and said, "Here he goes again."
Adam had two son.
Abraham had two sons.
Isaac had two sons.
Jacob had two sons by his favorite wife, Rachel. 
Not every story started that way but there were many that did. Invariably one of the sons was preferred. Abel, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph were especially blessed. The others got the leftovers. 
In today's parable the younger son, although he had nothing to recommend him, was preferred. The older son was hardworking and reliable and, for the most part, didn't complain. The younger had broken the old man's heart. And yet, when he returned penniless and filthy, he was welcomed with open arms. With the finest robe, sandals for his blistered feet, a ring on his finger, the fattened calf, musicians and dancers! 
The older son returning from the fields? No welcome. No invitation. Only, "By the way, your brother came home." 
When the elder complains he is reminded, "We have to celebrate!" Where does it say that? Who made that rule? 
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
nor are your ways my ways.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways,
my thoughts higher than your thoughts.
The Pharisees and scribes were not satisfied with the story of the Prodigal Son. They knew what Jesus was saying. They got it but they didn't like it.  
Our faith insists that God's ways are not arbitrary or capricious. But they are incomprehensible to us. We hear every day dozens of sad stories. At some point every one of us experience tragedy. 
And yet we believe. We hope. We make the sacrifices love demands. They too are incomprehensible to our baffled neighbors. "Curse God and die!" some might say to us. 
Lent teaches us to wait and pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.