Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Wednesday of the Second Week of Lent


"Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem,
and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests
and the scribes,
and they will condemn him to death,
and hand him over to the Gentiles
to be mocked and scourged and crucified,
and he will be raised on the third day."

The Evangelists tell us of Jesus's prediction several times, and our Catholic liturgy repeats the story on weekdays and Sundays, during Lent and Ordinary Time. The narrative usually includes the disciples' obtuseness; they just don't get it.
In today's version from Saint Matthew the mother of the sons of Zebedee presses her sons' suit,
"Command that these two sons of mine sit, one at your right and the other at your left, in your kingdom."
It takes a mother to do that sort of thing. We might imagine her sons were embarrassed by her boldness, but perhaps they put her up to it.
In any case, as will become clear, they have no idea what they are asking for.
Several years ago, the guardian of our large friary resigned and there was much discussion as who should take his place. My name was floated. I talked with my spiritual director, the abbess of a Poor Clare monastery. "Ken," she said, "leadership is nothing but a cross!"
I was glad when I was passed over on that occasion though it fell to me several years later. And it was nothing but a cross. I have since learned to pray for our guardians, superiors, pastors, bishops and chief chaplains.
No one knew the cross of leadership better than Jesus. He saw it clearly as he approached Jerusalem. He warned his disciples that they would drink of his chalice but they never understood until they saw his death.
Leadership stripped of the cross is not the real thing. In ordinary usage we call it corruption. Those who covet authority for its apparent freedom and power aspire to its perks -- its better pay, corner office,  privileged seating, deferential subordinates, etc. They might pay lip service to the mission of the church, corporation or government office but their goals are strictly personal. They will be the first to abandon the flock when the wolf attacks.
As I hear the news I have sometimes wondered, "If you can't exploit your authority what's the point of having it?"
Some people cannot answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.