Thursday, March 14, 2019

Thursday of the First Week in Lent


Do to others whatever you would have them do to you. This is the law and the prophets.



This proverb from today's gospel is often cited as the core of our ethical tradition. Other verses may describe our faith in, hope in, and love for God but this one describes our approach to others.
It is an open ended invitation, not confined by particular customs or expectations. Whatever knows no limit. And we are assured, "This (sums up) the law and the prophets."

The teaching invites much introspection for I should be able to answer a very personal question, "What would I have you do for me?"
What is more frustrating for a parent, teacher, employer or minister than dealing with people who don't know what they want? Especially when they're sure they don't want what you're offering! (i.e the British Parliament and Brexit)
Speaking as a Franciscan, living in community helps me develop that sense of what I want and what another might want. And, at least as important, what another person might not want despite my thinking it is surely best.
But I also bring to the friary my lived experience of a large family. I was the oldest of seven children when I entered the seminary and, eventually, of ten. If a large group is to live in any peaceable fashion they "anticipate each other in showing respect."
In common life we learn to read the signals, verbal and otherwise, and can respond to the needs of others. Animated by the Spirit that binds us together, we are ready and willing to assist, or offer assistance, as the case may be. Or refrain, when it's not welcome. 
If such a life is not hard to imagine neither is it terribly difficult to live. As the saints tell us, "With love the impossible is easy; without love even the easy is impossible."
Jesus knew that when he gave us this teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.