Thursday, September 29, 2022

Feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, archangels

 Lectionary: 647

"Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen."


Several years ago, reading about another shooting, I realized that, because I choose to live in the United States, I might die of gunshot. I might be shot by a thief, or an accidental discharge, or a wacko shooting at passing cars on the Interstate, or an anxious cop. If I am more likely to die of heart disease or cancer, there are statistics that point to the possibility of death by gunshot. 

I am less sanguine about the possible murder of a friend or family member. When Father Mario Ross was slain in Knoxville Tennessee several years ago, I was shocked and deeply saddened by the loss of a good friend. I am offended if I am rudely bumped in a crowded bus; being assailed so severely that my soul is shoved from my body -- it seems unthinkable! But given the number of people I have known and loved, I should not be surprised that one acquaintance was murdered in this trigger-happy nation of frightened women and men. it's clear that we are not willing to provide the protection one would expect of a civilized nation.

And so I join the Church in praying to Saint Michael: "...defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil." 

We look to divine powers for protection against external and internal enemies. And the Church persistently reminds us that the worse enemies are those within. My worst enemy is me. I am the one who lives in fear for my life. I am the one possessed with anxiety about my safety, my health, what others think of me, and so forth. I am the one who lacks the discipline of a healthy, balanced life. While there are many threats to my well being and peaceful state of mind, some can be avoided quite easily. 

And then there are the unexpected and undeserved threats, the random acts of violence. They might be physical, sexual, emotional, or spiritual. We ask God and his angels and saints for protection. Our prayers remind us that many things happen beyond our control. 

We walk by faith and not by sight, as Saint Paul said. There is neither need nor expectation that we should have complete control and command of every situation. To live is to take risk and the LORD has commanded us to live freely, generously, courageously, and joyfully. With the help of Saints Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael we join the heavenly choirs in grateful praise of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.