Saturday, September 3, 2022

Memorial of Saint Gregory the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church

 Lectionary: 436

While Jesus was going through a field of grain on a sabbath, his disciples were picking the heads of grain, rubbing them in their hands, and eating them.
Some Pharisees said,
“Why are you doing what is unlawful on the sabbath?”
Jesus said to them in reply, “...The Son of Man is lord of the sabbath.”


Yesterday I reflected upon the individual Christian's dual relationship to Jesus and the Church. I take it up again today.

Teenagers, under the impulse of impetuous passion, might love another's body without the head, but they soon find out the two are inseparable. The head of one's lover demands attention and does not take kindly to being ignored. 

Likewise, we cannot love the Lord Jesus without his Church; they are inseparable. Learning to negotiate those two relationships, and finding oneself within both: these are the great challenges for every disciple of Jesus. 

As a community of humans we have our customs, norms, and rules. We must teach our youth and remind our elders, "It is not lawful to...!" 

But not every proscription is found in the Bible. Not all are spoken. New members and visitors sometimes trip landmines and don't even know they've offended their companions. In response, hospitality will suggest, "Here's how we do this." and, "Here's how we say this." and, "When in Rome do as the Romans do." 

The touchy guest might take offense at the suggestion; they might experience culture shock. But if they plan to belong they make the adjustment. 

As a Yankee pastor in southern Louisiana, it took me several years to realize the committee chair must call every member to remind them of tonight's meeting. It was an unwritten rule. If I didn't call them, the meeting had been cancelled. When I remarked about that, someone replied, "It shouldn't be that way." But that's the way it was and neither the Yankee newcomer nor the native could change an unspoken rule. 

To make the adjustment to life in this community, and among these people, I must turn to the Lord of the Sabbath and love him with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. He teaches me to get over myself and learn how to love these people in this time and place. These real people in this real time and place. 

If I am sent as a prophet to challenge sinful customs and attitudes, I must first become a member, united in heart and soul to Christ's body the Church. My love cannot be divided; it must be united in the One Communion of body and soul. 

My first pastor, Father Juniper Cummings, told me many years ago that the self-appointed prophets who would challenge and change the friars never stay long enough to see it happen. Their love is divided between the Lord and his Church, with the self in between. 

We hear in today's gospel how the Lord of the Sabbath demands much of the Pharisees. He demands much of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.