Saturday, September 24, 2022

Saturday of the Twenty-Fifth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 454

While they were all amazed at his every deed, Jesus said to his disciples,
“Pay attention to what I am telling you.
The Son of Man is to be handed over to men.” 
But they did not understand this saying;
its meaning was hidden from them so that they should not understand it, and they were afraid to ask him about this saying.


Today's gospel is worth serious and long reflection, but it might be summarized with a popular, current expression, "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."

Very often, as Saint Luke says, we're afraid to ask what is the meaning of that remark, or this incident. We'd rather overlook the elephant in the room. We prefer not to see it or hear it. We ignore it and assume it doesn't mean what it obviously means. 

Or, if we simply cannot ignore it, we hope it goes away soon. A pandemic, a catastrophic thousand year storm downpour, a mass shooting, a collapsed bridge: can't we just say they shouldn't happen and move on? Must we respond to everything? 

"The Son of Man is to be handed over to men:" that sounds like really bad news for our merry men from Galilee. That sounds like something I should hear and acknowledge. Apparently, I'm being told this for a reason. 

But, thank you, no. Not today. I don't know what it means, and I cannot respond to anything so unthinkably awful. And I've got a lot on my plate right now. 

This 45th verse in Luke 9 is leading up to verse 51:

When the days for his being taken up were fulfilled, he resolutely determined to journey to Jerusalem.

 Those who travel with Jesus should know what they're getting into. 

A friend recently suggested I read a popular Christian book. I was startled by the publisher's one sentence summary of its message: "Change in your life is inevitable, but suffering is not." Perhaps the author and publishers should have told Jesus about that before he set out for Jerusalem. It might have made all the difference!

But perhaps that's precisely what his disciples thought when they heard, "The Son of Man is to be handed over to men.” Each one might have quietly assured himself, "Suffering is not necessary. There are other ways!" 

In their heart of hearts they disagreed with his statement and would not absorb what he was telling them.

After Luke 9:51 we understand Jesus will go to Jerusalem regardless of the warnings, and regardless of his obtuse disciples. The time has come! He goes obediently, willingly, eagerly, and generously; and with those inspired impulses he finds both freedom and joy. He will go with or without followers. They must make their own choice; his is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.