Friday, September 23, 2022

Memorial of Saint Pius of Pietrelcina, Priest

 Lectionary: 453

Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
Peter said in reply, “The Christ of God.”
He rebuked them and directed them not to tell this to anyone.


Vince Lombardi, the revered coach of the Green Bay Packers was known for praising his team's efforts when they lost; and sharply, ruthlessly criticizing them when they won. The young men knew they had won; they had their fans and a fawning press to tell them. Willing to learn from the master, they were also willing to receive his severe rebuke. 

There is a time for everything under heaven, and the wise have an acute sense of the time. Warren Buffett, investor, is also known for his timing; he buys as investors flee the market, and sells when they return. Wisdom's sense of timing often confounds fools.

As an avowed disciple of the Lord, one might expect praise for our spokesperson, Saint Peter, when he declares, "You are the Christ of God!" 

(Woohoo! Ain't I something!) 

But anyone familiar with the scriptures knows God's continual and frequent rebuke; the stories begin with Adam and Eve and continue through all Salvation History. 

Adults who practice the sacrament of reconciliation invite the Master's stern pronouncements. Fascinated by the Lord's holiness, beauty, and goodness, grateful to be in God's presence, delighted at the sound of his voice: they don't need an encouraging word 24/7.  

When the time is right, as Saint Paul said, 

"...he will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will manifest the motives of our hearts, and then everyone will receive praise from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.