Friday, September 9, 2022

Memorial of Saint Peter Claver, Priest

Lectionary: 441

Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible. I have become all things to all, to save at least some. All this I do for the sake of the Gospel, so that I too may have a share in it.


For seven years I had the honor of being the pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, an African-American congregation in Jennings, Louisiana. We belonged to the Diocese of Lake Charles. The first bishop of the diocese, Bishop Jude Speyer had chosen Saint Peter Claver as the patron saint of the diocese, because the Jesuit saint had dedicated his life to serve the African slaves as they arrived in South America. 

This self-described "slave of the slaves" greeted the ships with their human cargo as they arrived in Cartagena (in present day Columbia.) His Jesuit habit permitted him to board the ships and begin caring for the weakened, sick, and distressed men and women. Some had died during the cruel passage and he took care to dispose of their bodies decently. He gave what medicines and therapy he could provide, having pillaged the wealthy of the city who admired his work. 
With translators he attempted to instruct them in Catholic faith, and then to baptize them. During the 40 years of his ministry, Claver instructed and baptized an estimated 300,000 slaves.

As the United States reluctantly addresses its shameful history of slavery, and especially the issues of reparation and atonement, we should hear the words of Saint Paul with fresh insight: 
Although I am free in regard to all, I have made myself a slave to all so as to win over as many as possible.

When I briefly studied karate I learned that the first principle in combat is to keep one's balance. In dealing with opponents, I lose if I lose my balance. That loss may include my temper, my respect for their human dignity, and my sense of proportion in addressing them. 

But very often, we prefer to guard other values; things like dignity, security, property, reputation, and self-esteem. Surprised by the demands of an enemy we often lose our balance immediately in the desperate effort to save those lesser values. As I answered the door in my parish in Louisiana, I soon realized that the poor would readily take everything I had; they were, in a sense, the enemy. And I should love them.  

Peter Claver, like so many saints before and since, chucked his dignity, security, and property in his zeal to serve the captives. Confronted occasionally by hostile slavers who were buying and selling human souls, he kept his balance and waited as they fumed, complained, and finally relented. They knew the Church condemned their industry; if they would not renounce their work, they had to allow his baptizing ministry. 

We learn from the saints Gospel values and the proportionate worth of this world's goods. No one says we should own nothing, dress in rags, and never eat; but we can study the gospel and listen to the Spirit as we address the heritage of slavery, segregation, racism, and discrimination. These things don't go away because we wish they would. 

There is time to right the wrongs of the past; there might not be much time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.