Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Memorial of Saint John Chrysostom, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

 Lectionary: 444

When the Lord saw her, he was moved with pity for her and said to her, “Do not weep.”
He stepped forward and touched the coffin; at this the bearers halted, and he said, “Young man, I tell you, arise!”
The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother.


I notice two things about this miracle story, and neither concern the young man. The first is Jesus's compassion for the widow. Her only child had died and there was no one to assist her in her old age.

Secondly, the people of Naim understand, "God has visited his people!" They don't lavish affection and congratulations on the young man. His good fortune seems secondary to the story.

Rather often, I have to be reminded, "My life is not about me." 

Jesus knew his life was for others, and that gave him the freedom to move about from town to city to village; and to preach, heal, scold, and console God's people. 

The social pendulum has swung as far as it can go toward individual liberties, and we find the whole concept of freedom has become a caricature. Civil rights for African Americans is largely dismissed as every other self-identified minority rushes through the pried-open door. Consequently, Black Lives Matter rises up in protest, and that too is co-opted by a dozen other minorities -- and a pathetic majority.

When everyone universally and loudly declares, "I am somebody!" no one is anybody again, and we're back where we started. 

As a pastor in an African-American church I was often impressed by the lack of interest in the isolated individual. More than a few women said to me, "Father, this is my granddaughter!" And forgot to tell me the child's name. The name seemed less important than the beautiful relationship, granddaughter. 

In today's gospel, neither the young man nor his mother is named; they're known by their relationship, including "widow," which implies a lost and redefined relationship. 

No one is saved alone. We belong to Christ and we belong to one another. 

We can be oppressed by skewed assignments, as when families, companies, or society appoint us to responsibilities for which we have neither talent nor ability nor interest. The oppression might reflect their ignorance of us, or their indifference. They just don't care who we are or how we might contribute. 

But sometimes the need is great, there is no one else, and we generously step up to the assignment, learning the skills and attitudes to make it work. The Spirit is there and the flesh learns. 

The Jesuits like to say, "ad maiorem Dei gloriam!"  (All for the greater glory of God!) In today's Gospel, Jesus restores a young man to a needy woman and the locals recognize, "God has visited his people." 

Now wouldn't that make a nice epithet to my life? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.