Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Memorial of Saint Cecilia, Virgin and Martyr

 Lectionary: 504

“Use your sickle and reap the harvest, for the time to reap has come, because the earth’s harvest is fully ripe.”
So the one who was sitting on the cloud swung his sickle over the earth, and the earth was harvested.



The above verse, I suppose, is the biblical source of the Grim Reaper, that angel of death who comes with his scythe (pronounced sith with a long i and no k) especially to carry away the wicked and unworthy.

But the passage itself sounds of happiness at the abundant harvest. It must also remind us of the Mass when we offer the wheat bread and the grape wine, to represent the perfect love of Our Lord for the Father, and God's love for us. 

It could be all about joy. But as we read and hear this passage, there is also that uncomfortable reminder of God's fury -- the final word of this reading. The sickle resembles a weapon, and beleaguered farmers sometimes used them against invading armies. The stomping of grapes in the wine press with its gushing red juice flowing from the spigot might also creep into one's nightmare imagination as blood. Some people have seen blood running in the streets from bodies piled high. 

Do we anticipate the Judgment Day with fear or hope, with dread or joy? Will our devotion and fidelity be vindicated in the sight of those who mocked us? Or will their mockery be vindicated as our superficial piety is exposed as fraud? 

These verses from Revelation evoke a grim passage from Isaiah 63, 

Who is this that comes from Edom,
in crimsoned garments, from Bozrah?
Who is this, glorious in his apparel,
striding in the greatness of his strength?
“It is I, I who announce vindication,
mighty to save.”
Why is your apparel red,
and your garments like one who treads the wine press?
“The wine press I have trodden alone,
and from the peoples no one was with me.
I trod them in my anger,
and trampled them down in my wrath;
Their blood spurted on my garments,
all my apparel I stained.
For a day of vindication was in my heart,
my year for redeeming had come.

This grim reaper is Israel's avenger against Israel's enemies, especially Edom. The Prophet Isaiah knew better than most that when the LORD moves against Israel's enemies he is acting as much to glorify his Name among the nations as to avenge the crimes against his chosen people. They should not suppose God will overlook their sins for they also offend God's holiness. 

Throughout our lives and throughout our long history we struggle to get this right. We should feel assured of God's love and mercy toward us, but we must never take either for granted. We should be eager to please the Lord as newly married men and women are eager to please one another. Our openness to the Lord should never take offense when we're disappointed with an unanswered prayer, or an apparent entitlement is our foolish presumption. We praise the Lord anyway! 

And we hope the Lord is never (terribly) disappointed with our shortcomings. 

We should look forward with confidence to the Judgement Day knowing that, whether we pass the test or not, God's glory will be manifest and God's kingdom will be revealed. What a great day that will be!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.