Wednesday, November 2, 2022

The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls)

 Lectionary: 668

“Everything that the Father gives me will come to me,
and I will not reject anyone who comes to me,
because I came down from heaven not to do my own will
but the will of the one who sent me.


If there is a second most favorite verse from the Gospel of Saint John it might be this one. (The first being 3:16.) 

Humans should readily understand Jesus's words for we often do what someone else wants, rather than our preference.

It might be in love as for one's spouse, parent, or child. Or it might be in cooperation with one's company, a word which may include one's companions, platoon, volunteer organization, church, or employment. Realizing that my particular preference has not swayed my companions, I go along to get along and everything works out just fine.

Doing another's will might entail slavery also. The New Testament addressed that form of obedience since most denizens of the Roman Empire were slaves. (Fortunately, their institution was not half as barbaric as the North American form.) 

In this passage from John 6, Jesus assures us of both his Father's benevolence and his own intentions. The Spirit draws us to him and we shall not be rejected. Jesus can assure us of this as he knows his own heart well -- that he is governed by the same Holy Spirit of love and not by his own moods or feelings -- and he knows the will of his Heavenly Father. 

If there is any doubt in our heart about his resolution to welcome us and not reject us, we will follow him to Jerusalem, Gethsemane, and Calvary. There we will watch as he gives his life to the Father under the most barbaric conditions. Witnessing that, could we doubt his promise to save us? 

At that point, our confidence in the Lord may lack only one thing; and that is our willingness to surrender our loved ones and ourselves to God. On November 2, and throughout the coming month, we remember death and judgement, heaven and hell. We remember that we are faced with the choice.

That we'll die is certain. There is no choice. But how do we receive that certainty? How will I approach death? How do I accept the loss of loved ones to death? 

We do so in the company of the Church, in companionship with the Lord. If I am frightened, it's because I see that we are not. When we are frightened we discover He is not. When I resent my coming death, I notice that my companions are cheerful. We encourage one another. And when we lose our confidence we remember his Resurrection. 

The Father of Jesus is faithful. And because we believe in Jesus, we believe in his Father and the Spirit between them. As witnesses of the Lord's fidelity and integrity, we also surrender to death and resurrection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.