Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Tuesday of the Thirty-second Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 492

You must say what is consistent with sound doctrine, namely, that older men should be temperate, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, love, and endurance...


I was soundly rebuked some time ago when I reminded of friend of something he should know. 

"Should!" he shouted. "Don't tell me should! I don't do should!" and stormed out of the room. 

And I've said the same thing to myself on many occasion, when I had failed to do something, or felt reluctance about some project. Should is often not helpful and sometimes makes matters worse. 

But it is a good English word and it appears at least twice in today's first reading. Saint Paul urges his disciple, the young bishop Titus, to exhort the older men and women in his congregation to exemplary life. The men should be temperate and dignified; the women should be reverent in their behavior, and so forth. 

Joining the Church the faithful want to know what's expected of them. Or at least they should. They should not suppose that they're already experts in the Way of the Lord and have no further need for improvement. 

True, there are consumers who buy a product and don't expect it to change their lives; and some "buy" the Lord and are quite satisfied that he loves them intensely, unconditionally, and they have no intention of changing their habits or attitudes.

But those who receive the Spirit of the Lord, and not just a charge of excitement, want direction. They eagerly ask the question of Saint Paul, "What would you have me do, Sir?"

We hear that same word -- should -- and that ready spirit of openhearted obedience in today's parable, 

So should it be with you.
When you have done all you have been commanded, say,
‘We are unprofitable servants;
we have done what we were obliged to do.’”

Entering the Church we leave entitlement and pride behind to welcome instruction from the Lord. We are children eager to learn. We want to know what we should do, and how we should feel about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.