Saturday, November 5, 2022

Saturday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 490

I rejoice greatly in the Lord that now at last you revived your concern for me. You were, of course, concerned about me but lacked an opportunity. Not that I say this because of need, for I have learned, in whatever situation I find myself, to be self-sufficient.


Saint Paul had a particular affection for the people of Philippi. They had enthusiastically accepted the faith, willingly accepted the scorn of their families, friends, and associates as they worshiped the Lord, and generously supported the Apostle as he moved on to other cities. What's not to like about Philippi?

In his letter he can assure them that he is never desperate for cash, and has learned to trust in God through narrow straits as well as open seas. But he also appreciates their support because it demonstrates how deeply the Spirit has penetrated their hearts.
 
I have found throughout my ministry the same enthusiastic support and trust among lay folks in the church. That confidence in the priesthood opened doors for me in the two hospitals where I served. Patients and family only needed to see my collar to welcome a complete stranger and open their hearts. This was true of Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, and Native Americans. 

Nowadays, when I dial phone numbers to thank donors for their support of the friars' ministries, those who risk answering an unfamiliar number are delighted to know a priest is calling. When I ask if they have particular needs for prayer, they readily share their concerns. 

This is how the whole church receives the Sacrament of Orders. People sometime suppose that only Catholic males can receive the sacrament of priesthood, but when people receive a priest into their homes, churches, and lives they are accepting the Sacrament. Without that acceptance it's not very effective. 

After a sufficient number of years, every priest must admit that he has received great mercy and astonishing forgiveness for his innumerable sins against the laity -- his forgotten appointments, oversleeping, outbursts of anger and suspicion, and so forth -- and is humbly gratitude for that. 

Saint Paul was gratified by that hospitable spirit as he stretched the boundaries of Christianity across the Roman Empire. To this day, priests, religious brothers and sisters, lay chaplains, catechists, and Eucharistic Ministers  find that, even in a secularized world that is fascinated by trips to the stars while lacking any religious imagination, they are still welcomed as persona Christi, the presence of the Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.