Thursday, November 17, 2022

Memorial of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, Religious

 Lectionary: 500

Then I saw a mighty angel who proclaimed in a loud voice,
“Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?”
But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or to examine it.
I shed many tears because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to examine it.
One of the elders said to me, “Do not weep. The lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, has triumphed, enabling him to open the scroll with its seven seals.”


Can anyone be indifferent to their worth

I didn't really intend to "retire" last March, although everyone congratulated me on my retirement and two groups hosted parties for me, and I collected many warm wishes and some nice gifts. I expected only a new career, although I wasn't sure what it might be; and eventually to reenter the work force in some useful, demanding, and worthwhile capacity. 

It hasn't happened yet and, in the meanwhile, I have had to reconsider the meaning of worth. Namely, mine. 

Revelation 5:3-4 intends to startle those who hear its proclamation, and we should understand the Seer's distress: 

"But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or to examine it. I shed many tears because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to examine it.

In all the wide Earth there was no one worthy. One might suppose every stratified society, and especially an empire, can produce several worthy persons to open a book and read it. An emperor, his consort, his oldest son, or ranking counselor: surely someone can do it. In our day we might expect the POTUS, or the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS to step forward. or the UN Secretarial General to step forward. But no one was found worthy. 

Nor was it because the nations could not agree on who is worthy. They weren't asked. Worth has its own signature, and only One can make that decision. 

Can anyone be indifferent to their worth? Can anyone abandon everything that makes them worthwhile? I think of my job with its responsibilities. I consider my standing among the friars, and the loyal love of my family and friends. I might consider my skills, abilities, and experience; or my reputation and financial worth. A profession is ranked higher than a career, and a career is better than a job. Some might say they're only doing their job when they've achieved something heroic, but we honor their courage and admire their worthiness. 

Many people seem to think their possessions make them worthy, or their appearance, vigorous good health, and self-reliant independence. They're a burden to no one! They might declare, "Because I need no one I am worthy!" 

An odd statement, at best. 

Our reading continues. Apparently out of nowhere, out of an abyss of worthlessness -- that is, of his ignominious death on a cross -- the one who did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 

"has triumphed, enabling him to open the scroll with its seven seals."

Retirement has given me the opportunity to consider my own worth in the surpassing glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.