Friday, July 12, 2024

Friday of the Fourteenth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 387 

Say to him, “Forgive all iniquity,
and receive what is good, that we may render
as offerings the bullocks from our stalls.
Assyria will not save us,
nor shall we have horses to mount;
We shall say no more, ‘Our god,’
to the work of our hands;
for in you the orphan finds compassion.”
I will heal their defection, says the LORD,
I will love them freely;
for my wrath is turned away from them.


In simply secular terms, Hosea's urgent demands make a lot of sense. Judah cannot count on Assyria to save them from Egypt; nor Egypt, from Assyria. So let's invest in the Lord's protection and spend our money where it will do some good -- on orphans, widows, and aliens. 

It's been said that 99% of our fears are never realized. It might be added that most of our spending on security is wasted because the enemy skips around our defenses. Anyone remember the Maginot Line? 

There is something to be said for trusting God. 

The problem is that neither ancient Jerusalemites nor contemporary Americans believe there is a God who cares, acts, and will protect us. They say they do but their actions say otherwise. Preferring their own limited knowledge, faulty instincts, and inadequate strength, they forget past failures and throw good money after bad. It makes them feel secure; and feeling secure defies logic, common sense, and the Word of God. 

Faith comes with practiced hope in God's promises and practical love of one's neighbor. It also demands constant alertness against the doubt and anxiety which erode the feeling of security. A troubled mind which is not preoccupied with doing good for others asks throughout the day and long into the night, "What if...?" It accepts no reassurance but only demands more futile effort, and then more again. 

Remember the Lord in Gethsemane. He knew his enemies were about to move on him. He had walked straight into their conniving hands. His body trembled with fear. He felt intense anguish, sweated blood, and expressed his hope, thoughts, and feelings with honest words. 

And that truth brought its own relief. He had not turned away from his Father, nor had his Father abandoned him. He had been preoccupied with teaching his disciples and doing good for everyone who came to him. The same familiar, generous, courageous Spirit which was his spirit arose throughout his body. Rising from prayer, he took charge of the situation, his enemies, and his body; and surrendered to them. 

In the days when he was in the flesh, he offered prayers and supplications with loud cries and tears to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. Hebrews 5:7

If we believe in God we must believe in the promised resurrection.

But this I will call to mind;
therefore I will hope:
The LORD’s acts of mercy are not exhausted,
his compassion is not spent;
They are renewed each morning—
great is your faithfulness!
The LORD is my portion, I tell myself,
therefore I will hope in him. Lamentation 3:21


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.